I’m going down to New Orleans to see about a friend of mine. Ok. Kid Rock really sang those words and the song is playing through my head as we speak, but it holds true for me, too. We’re heading out in about 3 hours.
In twelve more hours, we will have already been to El Gato Negro for the first meal of our trip. That’s the one thing we always know before heading out–where to eat first. In seven days’ time, I’ll have so many food reports to torture you with. Just you wait.
Breezy, Bethanie, and I will be getting in lots of volunteer work (yes, there’s still lots of that). The rest of the time we will eat. We keep the agenda loose, otherwise, we might miss out on those quintessential “Only in New Orleans” moments.
While I’m getting my “fix” in reality, let me share with you how to get a pseudo fix when your reality is Anywhere Else, USA.
1. “A Love Song for Bobby Long“. Great movie with John Travolta and Scarlett Johansson. This is my personal favorite New Orleans movie.
2. Or you could watch re-runs of the original HBO series “Treme”. I’m looking forward to season two.
3. Or you could put in a CD and listen to these guys. There is nothing like sitting in on a set with John Boutte and Paul Sanchez. Here they are at French Quarter Fest. Do you see the gnome on stage? Yep. He’s from our hood. He visits New Orleans almost as often as we do.
4. Or you could make up a batch of these: We do this on rainy days.
5. Or you could make a huge batch of red beans and rice. Don’t forget the bay leaves. It makes it extra awesome.
6. Or you could read a good book. I’m going to pick up a copy of this when I’m there:
I’ll see you next week. Kiss my grandbabies for me, Sam. And take lots of Halloween pictures. I love you.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez.